September 26, 2023


MUSKEGON, Mich. (WOOD) – Firefighters rescued two unconscious men from a burning house in Muskegon Monday morning. Another man jumped out an upstairs window to escape.

The fire started around 6 a.m. in the basement of Charles Davis’ house at 330 Washington Ave.

Davis said he awoke when he heard someone calling his name.

“When I woke, it’s just smoke everywhere,” Davis said. “So I jumped out the window. And then when I jumped out the window, I came downstairs and tried to get my other brothers, but the smoke was so big and strong that I just couldn’t do it.”

There wasn’t much fire damage to the house, but the smoke could have killed Davis and his brothers.

“I went back and forth from here to there trying to get them out,” Davis Said. “When I hit that door, the smoke caught my throat and everything. But I went back and forth trying. It’s a blessing like I said, the fireman were right on time. ‘Cause I was going in there one way or the other.”

His brothers, Monroe and Ham, had lost consciousness due to the smoke when firefighters carried them out.

They were taken to a hospital and are expected to be OK.

About Author

%d bloggers like this: