May 30, 2023

5 People Rescued in Ottawa, Ontario



The office of the Ontario Fire Marshal has four investigators on the scene Sunday where a fire killed two young women and injured several others on Claymor Avenue near Ottawa’s Experimental Farm.

Firefighters arrived on the scene in six minutes and were able to rescue five people, including a 21-year-old pregnant woman who suffered from severe smoke inhalation and hypothermia.

Claymor Avenue fire

Two women were killed after a fire at 1396 Claymor Ave. early Saturday morning in south Ottawa. (CBC)

Firefighters, paramedics and police all responded to a two-storey building at 1396 Claymor Ave. at about 3 a.m. Saturday. Firefighters rescued five people from the building and paramedics took them to hospital:

  • Girl, 17, smoke inhalation & hypothermia.
  • Girl, 16, smoke inhalation & hypothermia.
  • Woman, 18, smoke inhalation & hypothermia.
  • Man, 20, smoke inhalation & hypothermia.
  • Pregnant woman, 21, severe smoke inhalation and hypothermia.

Two teenagers and the pregnant woman arrived at hospital in critical condition.

Paramedics said people who had made their way outside “could no longer walk due to frozen extremities and significant smoke inhalation.” Paramedics then wrapped them in their uniform jackets.

A 57-year-old firefighter was also taken to hospital with minor lacerations suffered while fighting the fire.

Three others were seen outside in the cold when crews arrived, in their bare feet. They were treated for mild hypothermia.

Malfunctioning fire hydrant (Dec. 14, 2013)

This fire hydrant on Claymor Avenue did not work forcing firefighters to use one further way from the building that was on fire. (CBC)

Two women, 21 and 23, were unaccounted for and they were later pronounced dead.

Malfunctioning hydrant raises questions for neighbours

The fire hydrant that sat closest to the multi-unit building did not work. It sat open but was not connected to any fire hose.

Neighbours said they have complained to their city councillor, Maria McRae, about malfunctioning hydrants. Fire officials  did say the hydrant had no impact on fighting the fire.

The fire was deemed under control just over three hours after firefighters arrived. They remained on scene for a couple of hours to complete overhaul operations.

Neither the cause nor total damage has been released. Two investigators from the Ontario Fire Marshal’s office also looked into the fire.

%d bloggers like this: