Porter Firefighters Rescue Man

Porter firefighters pulled an unconscious man from his burning home near Ford Road in Porter early Saturday morning.

Montgomery County Fire Marshal Jimmy Williams stated in a release that the fire was reportedly started from a space heater.

The man, in his mid-50s, was revived and treated by the Montgomery County Hospital District EMS. Porter Fire Department Captain Richard Mixx said the man was taken to Memorial Hermann Northeast Hospital in Humble.

“I spoke with his wife and she said he’s still in the hospital and that he’s doing fine and that they’re supposed to release him (today),” Mixx said.

Mixx said the Porter fire crew found the man on the floor outside a bedroom in a single-wide mobile home.

“They arrived on scene with fire showing,” Mixx said.

Mixx said the man’s wife was at home at the time of the fire and went outside and called 911.

“The reason he survived is because of how quick we got the call and how quick (the fire department) got there,” Mixx said. “They made a quick entry into the house and got him outside quick.”

Mixx said the crew that responded to the fire felt good about how everything went.

“They were feeling pretty good about themselves (Saturday) morning,” Mixx said. “That doesn’t happen very often in the fire service unfortunately.”

Williams stated that the home did have two smoke detectors, but neither were working at the time of the blaze.

“I want to stress how important it is to have working smoke detectors in your home,” Mixx said. “Early detection and timing is everything. The survival rate is greatly increased when there are working smoke detectors in the home.”

 

Leave a compliment!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s