Woman Rescued in Oshawa, Ontario

shwa

OSHAWA — A woman is in hospital after being pulled from a burning house without vital signs Thursday night in Oshawa.

It’s believed a smouldering cigarette was the source of the Grenfell Street blaze, which was reported by a neighbour just before 9 p.m., said Oshawa Fire Deputy Chief Steve Boyd.

Firefighters arrived to find a fully involved fire with flames shooting out the front window, he said. Search and rescue team members entered the building in search of an occupant.

“They located a 47-year-old female. She was removed from the house with vital signs absent,” Deputy Chief Boyd said. “En route to hospital she was revived by firefighters and paramedics.”

The woman, who suffered injuries to her upper torso and lungs, remained in intensive care at hospital in Oshawa Friday, he said.

An Ontario Fire Marshal investigator arrived on scene Thursday night and identified what the Deputy Chief described as a preliminary finding of a cause for the fire.

“The suspected cause is careless use or discarded smoking materials,” he said.

No working smoke detectors were found in the residence, Deputy Chief Boyd added.

Advertisements

Leave a compliment!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s