May 31, 2023




A space heater in the garage is being blamed for starting the blaze, according to a Dayton fire official.

The official said the fire spread to the home and the resident was taken to Miami Valley Hospital for treatment of smoke inhilation.

A tree trimming crew working in the neighborhood reported the fire, as did other passerbys. The dispatch center got multiple calls, according to the official.

Witnesses tell us there were four men who scaled the privacy fence and helped get the resident out of the house.


Broadmoor is closed to traffic as Dayton fire equipment and mutual aid from Kettering is on scene.

A fire has heavily damaged a Honda Civic in the driveway and a garage.

The flames appear to have spread to the house as well.

A witness tells us she was one of the first persons to call 911.

Jillian Schroeder said she was on her way to work when she saw the smoke.

Something told her to turn toward the smoke, she said, as she feared it was a house fire.

“My heart is still racing,” Schroeder said. “You don’t expect to be the first person to report a house fire on your way to work.”

Schroeder said she saw flames coming frome the house and worried someone was inside.

“The car was engulfed in flames … I saw they brought one person out of the house … It brought tears to my eyes. We didn’t know if anyone was in there and if they were OK,” Schroeder said. “So many times you think somebody else called [911]. I’m just really glad that I called.”


Crews in Dayton responded to a structure fire in the 1100 block of Broadmoor Drive.

The emergency call for service was made around 8:47 a.m.

According to scanner traffic, at least one person required medical assistance at the scene.

We have a crew en route and will provide updates as more information becomes available.

– See more at:

%d bloggers like this: