Ladder Rescue in Oklahoma City

resq1 resq2 resq3

OKLAHOMA CITY– A woman is rescued from the second floor of a metro apartment complex after a cooking fire spread and trapped her in her unit.

Officials say the fire began around 11 a.m. at the Central Park Apartments at NW 32 and Dewey.

“The fire had gotten up into the attic, which makes it spread pretty quickly,” OKC Fire Dept Maj. Tammy McKinney said, “so we cut holes in the roof just to make sure we can get it all out – let all that heat escape.”

Crews arrived to find one woman hanging out of her window, trapped on the second floor.

“The occupant stated she could see the fire in the crack of her door in the breezeway,” McKinney said, “so her exit was actually blocked.”

She was quickly rescued by firefighters with a ladder, and treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

But most residents were able to run out of the burning complex.

“I had never seen anything like that,” Marco Davis said. “This is my first apartment fire, or house fire, anything like that, period. I was just amazed that it all could go.”

Davis thought about saving his priceless family photos before leaving, but decided to get out immediately.

“It’s kind of nerve-wracking because I don’t know if my stuff is okay,” he said. “l don’t know if anything is salvageable. I’m just at a loss, and I don’t have renter’s insurance.”

Late Wednesday afternoon, McKinney said ten apartments were damaged, affecting 16 residents.

We’re told the cause of the fire was due to cooking.

In an upstairs unit, a resident put food on the stove – and forgot about it.

The Red Cross is helping those displaced.

Advertisements

Leave a compliment!

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s