DETROIT (WWJ) – Authorities say one of two children who were trapped in a burning home on Detroit’s east side has died from his injuries.
The fire broke out early Friday morning at a home on Lyford Avenue, near City Airport along McNichols Road and Van Dyke Avenue.
Firefighters rescued a 12-year-old boy and his 17-year-old brother from the home and rushed them to Detroit Receiving Hospital — but both were badly burned and in cardiac arrest.
Detroit Fire Captain Seldon Parham said the boys’ parents were frantic, knowing their children were still trapped inside the burning home.
“We understand that the father, he did a lot to go in there and try to get his kids out,” he said.
The younger child, identified in reports as Quartez Burrell, died at the hospital. The teenager, Cortez Burrell, is reportedly in serious condition.
Officials believe electrical wiring may have sparked the blaze, although an investigation continues.
Arson Investigator Lt. Matthew Crouch was called to the scene to help find some answers.
“I was contacted and I’ve just been going throughout taking photographs and I’m about to move some material in there and try to get a better idea of what happened,” Crouch told WWJ’s Laura Bonnell.
Crouch said they haven’t ruled anything out, but the fire appears to be accidental.
“You can see that the windows are fairly in tact, it doesn’t look like anything was thrown through them, so we’re not suspecting anything like that,” Crouch said.