A cigarette left on a futon in a garage probably was the cause of a fire Wednesday morning that destroyed a house and killed two dogs, fire officials said.
Firefighters knocked out a bedroom window to rescue a woman trapped there, Deputy Fire Chief Fred Napp said. Three adults escaped without injury.
The woman was taken to a hospital where she was treated for smoke inhalation, he said. Her condition was not available Wednesday.
The fire call came in shortly after 4:30 a.m. Wednesday from the 5700 block of Straightaway Drive.
“Someone in the family had gotten up earlier in the morning and went to the garage to smoke,” Napp said. “We believe a cigarette was left on a futon.
“When firefighters pulled up, the garage was full of flames. Flames were going through the roof and it spread to the home.
“Firefighters were told that one person was trapped in the home. She was found in a bedroom and firefighters knocked out a window to get her out.”
Firefighters from Haltom City, Richland Hills, Watauga, Fort Worth, Keller, Colleyville and Bedford worked for about 30 minutes to extinguish the flames, authorities said.