York Man Rescue from Fire
A man had to be forcibly removed from a burning York City house Wednesday night, a city fire official said.
The man, who lives in the house in the first block of North Sherman Street, was using a fire extinguisher in an attempt to put out a fire in the kitchen, said Gregory Halpin, deputy fire chief with York City Fire/Rescue Services.
But when firefighters arrived, he refused to leave despite fiery conditions and heavy smoke.
“We had to forcibly remove him from the building,” the deputy chief said. “Apparently he was attempting to fight the fire.”
The man suffered smoke inhalation and initially refused requests by EMTs to go to an area hospital. The EMTs were eventually able to talk the man into going to York Hospital for additional medical treatment, Halpin said.
Fire: Crews were dispatched to the two-story rowhouse about 7:15 p.m. after a neighbor called 911 when flames were seen shooting from the rear of the house, Halpin said.
Firefighters were initially told someone was trapped inside the house, and they had to force their way inside. The front door, which had a large hole in it, was torn from its hinges and rested against an adjoining house.
Halpin said there was heavy smoke in the house and fire in the kitchen.
Along with the man, firefighters also rescued his dog from the house. The dog was in the care of a neighbor Wednesday night.
The fire gutted the kitchen and also spread to an outside, second story balcony, Halpin said, adding a neighboring house also sustained smoke damaged.
Firefighters had the blaze under control in short order.
Get out: When it comes to fight or flight, Halpin said its best for people to get out of a burning house as soon as they can.
They should leave the firefighting to those who are trained to do it.
Halpin added the man was lucky he wasn’t overcome by smoke and rendered unconscious.
“He was in a very peculiar situation,” Halpin said.
Neither a cause for the fire, nor an estimate on damage was determined Wednesday.
York City firefighters were assisted on the scene by firefighters from North York.
You must log in to post a comment.