November 28, 2023


MANCHESTER, N.H. —Firefighters arrived just in time to save a man who was found unconscious during an accidental fire in Manchester.

According to fire officials, the fire started at an apartment at 298 Front St. just before midnight Saturday when a pan of oil was left unattended on the first floor. The fire then spread into the second-floor walls and third-floor ceiling, roof and bedrooms.

Firefighters arrived just four minutes after they were dispatched to the apartment building, where they simultaneously attacked the fire and were able to rescue a 58-year-old man who was not breathing. He was quickly flown to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston with serious injuries.

Manchester Fire Chief James Burkush said his crew was on the scene within four minutes of the first 911 call.

“The actions of members of Engine 5 were phenomenal,” Burkush said. “Had the situation gone on for a few more minutes, the outcome would not be so good.”

None of the other residents were injured, but the building is now uninhabitable. The fire displaced eight adults and four children.

John Moore of the American Red Cross said the agency is helping tenants for the next few days.

“Right now we are helping them with clothing, food, logistics, hotel,” Moore said.

Residents said a cat and dog still haven’t been found. Some of the tenants returned Sunday to see what could be salvaged. The damage to the building is estimated to be more than $140,000.

“They’re trying to figure out what they are going to do next because the building is unlivable,” Moore said.

Firefighters said the man taken to the hospital is expected to be OK.

About Author

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: