Reading firefighters rescued a woman from a porch roof this morning after a fire broke out on the first floor of her row home at Buttonwood and Front streets.
Denise Adams, 50, came down a small ladder that firefighters carried to the back of the home at 107 Buttonwood St. shortly after the fire was discovered about 6:15 a.m., Second Deputy Chief Tom Kemery said.Two other occupants, Adams’ sister Burnell Adams, 43, and their friend Adrienne Bass, 53, got out safely on the first floor and called 9-1-1 after trying unsuccessfully to put out the fire using a small extinguisher, Kemery said.Smoke from the fire kept Denise Adams from making it downstairs, so she went onto the porch roof along with one of the dogs that lives there. No one was injured.Firefighters quickly put out the fire, which was contained to the front room where it started in the area of a computer. Kemery said the fire was electrical in nature.The dog remained stranded on the porch roof until the fire was out. City police officers leashed the dog and brought it through the house to the backyard where the Adams sisters and Bass were gathering with a couple of other dogs that made it out the first floor.Kemery estimated damage at $15,000.He contacted the American Red Cross Berks Chapter to assist the three with temporary lodging and other emergency needs. – See more at: http://readingeagle.com/article/20150101/NEWS/150109999#sthash.P5rQlf6w.dpuf