Trench Rescue in San Antonio, TX

resq1 resq3 resq4

SAN ANTONIO – A worker who was trapped in a downtown trench for 90 minutes on Monday is now resting at home.

Anthony Flores, 63, was working on a street drainage project when he became trapped in the trench shortly before 5:30 p.m. Monday, according to Melissa Sparks, Spokeswoman for the city’s Transportation and Capital Improvements Department.

Flores is an employee of Jerdon Enterprise, a company that has contracted with the city of San Antonio to make improvements in and around Hemisfair Park.

San Antonio firefighters spent about 90 minutes trying to reach Flores and free him.

Flores reportedly was stuck in a 20-foot deep trench and buried up to his thighs with a mixture of sand, water and concrete.

Because of low temperatures, firefighters were concerned that Flores could suffer hypothermia or other health issues.

However, Brandon White, a project manager who works for Jerdon, said Flores was injured.

After the rescue, Flores was taken to a hospital as a safety precaution then spent the day recovering at home, White said.

Meanwhile, Flores’ coworkers, were back at work Tuesday morning, patching up the trench on Cesar Chavez Boulevard where they had been working to install new drainage pipes.

Also on site were inspectors  from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, who took notes and snapped photos.  It is customary for OSHA to conduct an investigation after any on-the-job death or injury.

Calls placed to the federal agency’s offices for more information on Tuesday morning, both in Washington, D.C., and Dallas, were not returned.

A records search on OSHA’s website showed that the agency conducted a previous trench inspection on a Jerdon Enterprise construction site, in China Grove in 2011. The record shows that no violations were found.

Ice Rescue in Middletown, NJ


MIDDLETOWN, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – Emergency responders helped recover three people, a mother and two teens, who ventured out on a dock-like structure in Sandy Hook Bay in Middletown, New Jersey Tuesday.

The incident took place at around 3:15 p.m. Tuesday.

Middletown police said the 14-year-old girl apparently walked out on a pipe extending from the shore and fell off into the icy cold water.

Dramatic Footage and More Info Here:

Rescues in Queens, NY

Three people were injured when a fire erupted in a house in Queens early Saturday, officials said.

Firefighters rescued one woman who was trapped on the top floor of the two-story home after the blaze broke out in the basement on 119th Rd. near 118th St. in Springfield Gardens around 5:40 a.m., Battalion Chief Patrick Ginty said.

“There was smoke pouring out of every window of this place,” he said. “The boys did a good job here.”

But it wasn’t just smoke-eaters who raced to help.

Next-door-neighbor Lawrence Leone leapt to action and grabbed his own ladder after terrifying cries for help and smoke poured in through his window.

“I live right next door and the smoke was coming in through my window and I heard the boy screaming so I ran out and grabbed the ladder and put it up,” Leone said.

After Leone, 19, and his brother placed their ladder against the burning house they helped one of the residents who couldn’t reach it, a 16-year-old boy, jump to safety from the second floor, he said.

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi Vic Nicastro/Vic Nicastro The woman was stuck on the second floor of the Springfield Gardens home.

The two good Samaritans then tried to coax the woman stuck on the top floor down but she was too afraid to crawl out through her window, he said.

That’s when firefighters arrived and extended two ladders from their trucks into the home and rescued the woman.

Leone said he didn’t think twice about springing to action.

“You can’t panic under a situation like that. You got to stay calm.”

All three residents were taken to Nassau County Medical Center in stable condition.

Teen Rescued from Chimney in Tucson, Ariz


TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — Firefighters rescued a teenage boy who was stuck in a chimney at a Tucson home.

Tucson Fire Department officials say a neighbor heard cries for help and called firefighters Wednesday afternoon.

Firefighters arrived to find a 16-year-old boy stuck about 6 feet below the top of the chimney.

They were able to lower a rope down into the chimney and hoist the teenager out of the chimney.

The teen was covered in soot but was unharmed and didn’t require any medical attention.

Fire officials say the teen was locked out of his house with his younger brother and was trying to find a way in.

The name of the teenager wasn’t released.

Man Rescued in Brighton, MI


For the second time in less than 24 hours, crews from the Brighton Area Fire Authority battled a blaze in subzero temperatures Sunday, saving a 30-year-old man’s life in the process.

Firefighters responded to a fire at the Waters Edge Apartments at Grand River Avenue and Bendix Road in Genoa Township at about 8:30 p.m.

They found the man unconscious in his second-floor apartment.

Smoke alarms in the apartment were disconnected at the time of the fire, Chief Michael O’Brien said.

“He wouldn’t have made it without the (apartment) sprinkler system, his neighbors and some fast work,” OBrien said.

The man was transporrted by EMS to an area hospital. Additional information on his condition was unavailable.

Fighting fires in subzero temperatures puts added stress on crews as everything from equipment to fire truck doors can freeze, O’Brien acknowledged.

“Even walking across a parking lot in weather like that can cause problems. But we rotate frequently and have good staff,” he said. “They know what to do.”

Firefighters battled another blaze shortly before 3 a.m. at the Sylvan Glen mobile home park, off Herbst Road, where a 75-year-old woman lost her life.

The woman was identified by neighbors as Donna Bingham.

Investigation continues into both fires.

Confined Space Rescue in Ankeny, Iowa


Eric Woollard, 28, of Des Moines, remains at Mercy Medical Center.

Rescue crews were called to Chemorse at 1596 Northeast 58th Ave. just after 1 p.m.

Saylor and Ankeny fire units were dispatched to the scene.

Workers told rescue crews that Woollard was near the tank when he suddenly disappeared and they noticed the liquid in the tank moving.

Several workers lowered a strap into the tank and pulled the man out.

Woollard was alert and conscious when he was taken away in an ambulance after going through a decontamination process.

Authorities said the tank contained a cleaning solution.

Rescue in Hudson, WI


Hudson firefighters were said to have saved a man from a house filled with smoke late Sunday afternoon after a neighbor reported hearing an alarm.

The sole occupant of the home was later transported to the Hudson Hospital to be evaluated and the fire was reported under control within 15 minutes.

A St. Croix County dispatcher paged the Hudson Fire Department to a possible structure fire at 1130 Namekagon Loop at 4:08 p.m. after someone reported hearing a fire alarm in the area.

The caller investigated and reported smoke wafting from the basement area of the house but didn’t know if anyone was still inside. Before first-responders arrived, smoke was also reported coming from the roof area.

The first responding Hudson police officer confirmed the smoke and upon checking the home, said windows in the kitchen area were blackened by smoke. He indicated he tried to enter the home but was driven back by the smoke.

Neighbors told officers they thought four children lived at the house. They were soon accounted for but a man was thought to still be inside the home, possibly in the basement.

Hudson firefighters arrived, quickly make entry — possibly through an egress window — and rescued a man inside.

Radio transmissions indicated the man was out, walking around and there were no other occupants.

The fire appeared to be centered in the kitchen and it was reported knocked down at about 4:22 p.m.

Lower St. Croix Valley and Town of St. Joseph firefighters were also called to assist.

River Falls Ambulance moved a truck to Hudson since two ambulances were already out, but they were later released.

St. Croix Co. property records indicate the residence owned by Barbara Miller, of Lake Elmo.

More details will be posted when they become available.

Cowlesville Firefighters Rescue Man from Fire

A Wyoming County man rescued from his burning home over the weekend remained in serious condition Monday morning in Erie County Medical Center’s Intensive Care Unit, after having suffered first- and second-degree burns and smoke inhalation, authorities reported.

Cowlesville firefighters responding to the Saturday morning fire learned that Calvin G. Brown was still inside his Town of Bennington home. Firefighters searched the residence at 980 Urf Road and found Brown collapsed on the living room floor.

Ten other fire companies responded to the scene, following the original fire call at 10:08 a.m. Saturday. Cowlesville Fire Chief Wilson Wild stated that firefighters remained at the scene for 6½ hours.

The blaze left an estimated $125,000 damage to the home. The cause remains under investigation, and no other injuries were reported.

Grab in Chicago


CHICAGO — One man is in critical condition after he was rescued from a burning building in the city’s West Rogers Park neighborhood early Sunday morning.

Firefighters battled the blaze for nearly three hours.  The fire broke out at about 3:25 a.m. Sunday in a two-and-a-half story building in the 1900 block of West Devon Avenue.

Police say the man was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston after Chicago police officers rescued him from the building.

The fire was raised to a still and box alarm, shortly after fire crews arrived.