A mother and her four children, including an infant, survived a basement fire in the Bronx Monday, authorities and witnesses said.
The family was trapped behind window bars and chicken wires inside their flat in a five-story building on Tiebout Ave. when the blaze started just after 5:15 p.m.
A 4-month-old boy had to be rescued by firefighters and was listed in stable condition at St. Barnabas Hospital along with his three siblings and mom, firefighters said.
“People were screaming that there are people trapped in the basement,” recalled firefighter Jay Prete of Ladder 56. “I went inside and saw two people with a kid pressed up against the window.”
Firefighters used a saw to cut the bars and pry out the baby.
“We were just doing our job,” Prete said as some neighbors hailed the rescuers as heroes.
The family’s patriarch works as the building’s super and wasn’t in the apartment during the fire, a relative said.